Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DIY Painted Tomato Cages

If you love tomatoes as much as I do, you have likely tried to grow your own. What I have always found frustrating is how unsightly the tomato cages are. After I came up with a unique idea, I realized it wasn't too unique as now they sell painted tomato cages at hardware stores! Ah-ha....but I won't be spending $5-$10 per cage....I'll make them myself.

Painted tomato cages are pretty easy to make, albeit a little time consuming depending upon how much of a perfectionist you are. You'll need the following to make it work:

  • tomato cages
  • spray paint primer (optional)
  • colored spray paint
  • tarp (optional, if you don't mind your grass getting paint on it, then skip it)
If you are looking for a more quality look, I recommend going the extra step and use primer as well. The finish will be smoother and the paint sticks more easily. I was rushed so I did some with and some without.

Since the bottom of the cage will be in the ground, I stuck the cage into the ground a little bit so it would stand up and I could spray it.

Prime and then paint the tomato cages and let dry. You'll need a couple coats of the color and likely you'll need to make a couple attempts as the cage has a lot of dimensions and there always seems to be another bare spot. Paint until you get the desired look.

I chose to do red, orange, and yellow primarily because I am growing tomatoes and I thought those colors would look best. I have read that reds, etc. will attract birds but who knows. Many tomatoes are red anyway, so what is the difference.

I did quite a few of them; here are the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment