Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Growing Garlic in a Container?

I LOVE garlic. While it is relatively inexpensive I always wondered if I could grow it in a container. I believe it is considered a cool weather item but we will see how it likes growing in June in Wisconsin. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it states in cold climates you plant garlic in the fall and harvest in the spring...I guess we shall see.

I was at Fleet Farm the other day and I saw a set of garlic and figured "why not?" So I got a really big old pot that I had found and got down to planting. As this is an experiment I have no idea how it will go, but it is worth a try.

Per the instructions I separated the bulb of garlic into the little garlic cloves. It is worth noting it made quite a mess with all the garlic skin floating around, so next time I'll separate it apart away from my patio, in the grass. Having used garlic a lot in the past I kind of wonder if the big garlic clove would grow the same sized garlic as the little garlic clove...only time will tell. Next I put the garlic with the "butt" down and the pointed end in the air (when garlic starts to sprout it comes out of the pointed end so I assume that is the direction I should plant it.) I then put 2 inches of dirt on top and watered well. Here are the initial results after planting (pretty exciting, eh?)



I'm not really sure if garlic is considered a "seed" however using my limited knowledge of starting seeds I check the pot daily and add water as needed as no "seeds" should be allowed to dry out. I'll update my progress as things begin to sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment