Friday, June 15, 2012

Tomatoes in Containers

I love tomatoes...the more unusual the variety the better! It has been a few years since I last grew tomatoes successfully, primarily because tomatoes in pots need one thing...water! If you are too busy to water nearly every night, then find something else to grow.

I went a bit overboard this year...I have 14 tomato plants in pots. I love the uniqueness of heirloom tomatoes, so I tried to find the best varieties to grow. My primary concern was to get plants that would have normal sized tomatoes (no mortgage-lifters here!)

The plants were purchased as very small plants, Mother's Day Weekend and planted that next week, in individual pots with tomato cages. If you'd like to try your hand at making your own colorful tomato cages, view my painted tomato cage link.

tomato cages

Once all plants were in their pots I watered them for about one week. Once established I began a feeding regimen with liquid fertilzer for tomatoes. All was going well until I noticed some with wilting and curling leaves.

wilted tomatoes

After further inspection if came across APHIDS! To see how I handled it view my aphids entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment