Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Patty Pan Squash in Containers

I was in the mood for something different this year, so I figured why not try growing patty pan squash in a container. I selected 3 patty pan squash plants and put that together with 3 pickling cucumbers plants as well. Based upon how large the plants are getting, I may have overdone it but for now all are healthy-looking.
patty pan squash label
From the tag: FLYING SAUCERThis summer squash looks just like its name – a flying saucer!  The fun, star-like shape with radiating points and multi-color pattern is irresistible to kids.  It has a semi-bush growth habit and is amoung the easiest vegetables to grow.  This summer squash offers a creamy, buttery texture that I find mixes well with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, cheeses and fresh herbs.  Pick the fruits when they are about 2” in diameter and prepare like any summer squash: steam, bake roast, stuff, sauté or grill. 

The patty pan squash are growing well without much more than daily watering and liquid fertilzer every 2 weeks. I check on my baby patty pans daily to see how they are coming. There are many blossoms and a number of small squash that have appeared in the last 2 weeks.


patty pan squash

I will update as they grow larger.


No comments:

Post a Comment